Hi, I'm Matt Slaughter. Most people just call me "Slaughter."
I currently lead all the UX & Design efforts for Coaches and Athletes at TrainHeroic. Since 2014 we've released a robust coaching platform, a refined mobile experience, a training marketplace and more.
In the last 10 years I've led the UX projects for Sam's Club and their mobile experience; Crafted the UX and IA that made the nation's health rankings available for every American; Owned the buy-flow and customer experiences for COX Communications and made the properties a little more open, honest and helpful.
Some other fun facts:
- I've been to 28 countries and most recently had to get a new passport because the old one was full.
- +1 Wife, +1 Son
- I believe good design is honest, human, helpful and humble.
- I believe the experience is the product.
- I can lift #500 pounds off the ground and compete competitively in exercising.
- I helped design the first self checkout experience at Walmart and Sam's Club.
- I've been told I have excellent hair.
- I love Zelda and Final Fantasy. I believe games can teach us a lot about the right and wrong kinds of engagement.
- I play the harmonica and all the saxophones.
- If I could, I would sleep in a hammock every night.
- Favorite Fiction - Ready Player One.
- Favorite Non-Fiction - Creativity Inc.
- I know the words to almost every Disney song.
Over the last decade I’ve helped teams, brands, startups and agencies build better experiences. No matter what the challenge, design thinking has helped me make life better for a lot of people.
- Experience Design
- Visual Design
- Interface Design
- Interaction Design
- Product Design
- HTML + CSS
- Agile/Lean Methodologies and Workflows
- Brand Style/Tone
- User/Behavioral Research
- Information Architecture/Content Strategy
- Harmonica & Saxophone
- Lifting Heavy Things
- Flannel Shirt Recommendations
Director of User Experience
TRAINHEROIC (Boulder, CO)
2014 - PRESENT (4 YRS)
• UX Director/Head of Design
• Product Ownership (Lean/Agile Methodologies)
• User Research & User Testing
I started at TrainHeroic as their 5th employee. Since that day I've helped grow the team and the business to 20 heroes strong, and over a quarter million users. We've launched three mobile apps and a world-class planning tool for coaches. Additionally, we've shipped solutions for full screen leaderboards and an online marketplace where coaches can literally make money while they sleep.
Since 2014 we've changed the way coaches communicate and work with their athletes.
Senior Strategist - User Experience
FCB CHICAGO (Chicago, IL)
2013-2015 (1.5 YRS)
• Jack Daniels
• Cox Communications
- Acted as the on-site liason for Cox Communications for projects including:
- Entire redesign of buy-flow experience
- "My Account" Overhaul
- New Digital "Welcome Center"
- Conducted stakeholder interviews and developed business/functional spec requirements
- Organized live design sessions with client + internal team before delivering final mocks/specs to development teams
- Drafted the experience artifacts for Jack Daniels Summer and Fall campaign sites for social activation
Senior User Experience Architect
Rockfish Digital (Dallas, TX)
2011-2013 (3 YRS)
• United Healthcare
• Sam's Club + Walmart
• Corner Bakery
- Lead UX Architect/Strategist for:
- Sam’s Club Mobile app (v3.0) & iPad (2.0)
- Corner Bakery marketing site + online ordering system
- United Health's "AmericasHealthRankings.com"
- Owned the full weekly and monthly reporting of mobile and web products for Sam’s Club
- Helped define the agency process for user experience/design.
Senior Account Manager
Bravis Marketing Agency (Bentonville, AR)
2010 - 2011 (1 yr)
• Boy’s & Girls Club
- Responsible for managing client projects and delivering creative product to national stores
- Managed project team (creative and production) to meet deadlines under budget
- Acted in creative and production roles when business required additional resources